The World Chain of Light is conducted annually by Toc H members worldwide. It takes place on the 11th – 12th December to commemorate the first opening of Talbot House in Poperinghe, Belgium, and the birthday of Toc H Founder Padre Tubby Clayton.
The first Chain of Light was started in 1929 in Perth, Western Australia. In 1961 the Chain was started at Dor Knap (which had been acquired by the movement in 1959) on the edge of the Cotswold Hills above Broadway.
At 9pm local time on the 11th December the host Lamp at Dor Knap was lit and a vigil held for 24 hours. The chain then moved westwards around the world with branches all lighting their lamps at 9pm local time until the chain of light was completed at 9pm on the 12th December. A short service was prepared by the members of the host Broadway Toc H Branch which included a message that was circulated worldwide for use during the observance.